Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A New Mommy!

So tonight during dinner a very normal common thing happened where it turned out that Blakely didn't like what the option for the evening was.  She informs me that she is not going to eat and that she will get herself something else.  I am trying this whole new mothering technique of sticking to my guns and therefore informed her that if she did not eat what was offered that she would go to bed hungry.  Of course she choose the later.  After a few nighttime "I am tired" fits the girls went to bed rather easily.  No joke almost two hours later Blakely comes out and tells me that she is hungry and wants some food.  I had to go over her decision again to not eat what was offered and to let her know that she chose her outcome.  Her response to me a very strong "I want Mindy to be my mom!"  I looked at her and thought to myself okay I'm going to see how far this goes.  I let her know that at Mindys house her children have to eat what she gives them for dinner as well.  She says "No, Mindy will give me whatever I want!"  Then I say well you know that if you live there then you can't marry Crew (Mindys very cute five year old son that Blake is infatuated with) she says "Okay I will marry Jag."  I think what will hit her to the core (sorry Mindy but I tried to make things sound not so good so that she might want to stay with her birth parents) I say well you know Mindy has four boys so you are going to have to wear boy clothes no dresses plus they have no dolls or strollers to play with.  Once again "No. Mindy will get me a dress and I will bring my suitcase with all my dresses, dolls and I can bring a stroller."  Think Janae think what will make her stay...  I've got it!  I say Mindy has a lot of kids where are you going to sleep?  Her response "Mindy will let me sleep with her and her dad Dustin!"  After a long talk I finally got to the core and said, Blakely we will be so sad if you leave us what can I do to make you want to stay?  Blakes answer, only macaroni and cheese for dinner mom not that gross stuff that you made tonight!


Moral of the story:  I was right all along you don't have to be a good cook just know how to do Mac & Cheese!  At least that is what I am going to keep telling myself considering I am the only Jardine that did NOT get the cooking skills!


P.S. No disrespect to Mindy she is an absolute phenomenal mother and any and every child would be lucky to have her.  I just don't think she needs and instant hormonally run four year old with attitude!

6 comments:

meg said...

My rule is never try to reason with a child because there is no way to win!! I do what you do - this is what's for dinner - period. And Blakely would never leave you - she loves her mom and family TOOOO much! Just give her a kiss and tell her that Heavenly Father wanted her to be your special girl. Good job on the "stick to your guns" thing!

TD said...

I stuck to my guns even though Casey told me dinner was gross. I also am a Jardine who did not get the cooking gene.
Good Luck!

JJ said...

I read this story and could see it all playing out as if it were happening right in front of me.

Sometimes it's worse if you get the "cooking gene." I like to try new things and believe me, my kids don't like that part of my talent. They, too, would prefer Mac & Cheese every night. However, I am not a made-to-order chef and you get what you get and you don't throw a fit!

Good job!

Leigh said...

Sounds like my Keagan just about everyday!!! Maybe we should swap.

Love you!

hornes said...

I would take that "hormonal 4 year old with attitude" anyday! But if the truth be known, I could never compare to the mother she has that in my eye's is perfect! She would be so sad without you! I love that girl! She is going to make you so happy! She is amazing just like all your other kids.You have done an amazing job! I just hope I can always have Blakely in my life! She makes me feel super special!

Tio said...

I'll take her I'll take her! Sorry that was the Nonna in me. CONGRATULATIONS JANAE, way to stick to being the Mommy. it's not all a picnic but worth it in the end. Next time she might try a little of the yucky. :) I remember plenty nights sitting at the table until LATE! Then I still had to eat it very cold and congealed! Mindy is my absolute darling but, no one and nothing compares to you. Just remember how wonderful you thought I was every day? (That's what I thought but look, you still love me.) Herre's to Motherhood the greatest and most exhausting and rewarding job in the world. Did I mention, frustrating?

Love,
Mom